Go Green
 

 
 

Follow Us On Twitter    Become A Fan On Facebook    Network With Us on LinkedIn    Subscribe To Our News Alerts


Go Green Pledge

Download Go Green Widget

Download Go Green News Ticker


Hosted on Green Server Hosted on Green Server
Go Green An Ekotribe Initiative

Green Stories
Change text size:
Pavegan - Generating energy from your footsteps
Send  your comments Send your comments Green Stories

Pavegan - Generating energy from your footsteps

Sponsored Sites
Shop Online for
Eco-Friendly Products
Ekotribe
Carbon Consulting

According to inventor Laurence Kemball-Cook a paving stone on a busy street is stepped on by more than 50,000 pedestrians everyday and he’s seen the light by harvesting that pedestrian power. Every time the rubber Pavegen stone is stepped on, it flexes 5mm and the dynamo technology stores the kinetic energy produced.

Harnessing the energy from walk, UK company Pavegen Systems plans to power the path you walk on. The rubber sidewalk tiles, made from 100% recycled tires, depress each time they’re stepped on. The kinetic energy generated is then converted into electricity and stored inside the tile.

A very small percentage (about 5%) of that energy makes the tiles glow, while the remaining 95% powers the tiles’ environs, ranging from street lights to digital information displays to other surrounding electronics.

Constructed from marine grade stainless steel and recycled materials, the surface (which comes in a variety of choice colors) of each slab features the rubber from old tires, and the internal components are made from recycled aluminium. Whenever a slab is stepped on it emits a glow – this not only informs the passerby of their contribution, but also reinforces a sustainable attitude and an increased awareness of the energy that is continually created and expended by each individual.

- Each slab generates 2.1 watts per hour when located in an area with high footfall. Based on a hit rate of a footstep every 4-10 seconds.
- Testing at trial sites has shown that 5 hours of walking at peak time will generate enough power to illuminate a bus stop for over 12 hours.
- 5% of the energy generated per footstep is used to illuminate the central low energy LED lamp.
- Energy is stored within Lithium Polymer batteries: opt. A: 1 battery per 5 unit or opt. B: One battery per unit. Depending on functionality of system.

.src=/uploads/pave.jpg











5864
 
 
How To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint?
Click here to request a copy of How To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint?
Green Speak
Click here to request a copy of useful Eco Jargon.
Some non green numbers from Go Green
Click here to request a copy of Non Green Numbers by Go Green.
10 Ways to Go Green
Click here to request a copy of 10 Practical Ways to Go Green.
Facts About Global Warming
Click here to request a copy of Facts About Global Warming.
Top 10 Reasons to Recycle
Click here to request a copy of Top 10 Reasons to Recycle.
Carbon Neutrality, Carbon Emissions and Carbon Offsets
Click here to request a copy of Carbon Neutrality, Carbon Emissions and Carbon Offsets.
Go Green at Work
Click here to request a copy of How To Go Green at Work?
Go Green at Home
Click here to request a copy of How To Go Green at Home?
The Power of the sun - Glossary of solar terms
Click here to request a copy of The Power of the sun - Glossary of solar terms.
The Carbon Lexicon - Reduction in emissions of carbon or greenhouse gases
Click here to request a copy of The Carbon Lexicon - Reduction in emissions of carbon or greenhouse gases.
Carbon Emission Stats - Per Country, Per Capita
Click here to request a copy of Carbon Emission Stats - Per Country, Per Capita.
green@go-green.ae Link to Us Tell A Friend Subscribe to News Alerts


advertise-with-us
 

Go-Green.ae has 1,756 Green Stories, 140 Green Product Reviews, 6640 Green News Headlines , 386 Organisations in the Green Directory, 390 Green Book Reviews, 464 Green Videos, 205 Green Tips and 1423 Go Green Ambassadors in 108 countries.
Green Resources
Another Cyber Gear Site